Monday, May 7, 2018

Monthly Book Picks: The Month of April 2018


Hey, if you've ventured past my usual movies post and found this book blog post, welcome. It's a new series that I've started: Monthly Book Picks where I select my favourite reads of the past month. Interesting coincidence: both my April picks' protagonist is named Allison.




“Hunger flickered, always there, but I pushed it down. I was a vampire. Nothing would change that. But I didn't have to be a monster."

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa (2012)
The Gist: In a post apocalyptic dystopian future that takes place years after a terrible virus, the vampires are now living out in the open and ruling the cities (hence the title). A human girl living in the fringe of the city and society gets turned into a vampire. Forced to flee the only home she's ever known and passing herself as human she tags along with a group of humans on a journey to Eden, a place that may have a possible cure for the virus. It's been a few years since I've read anything vampire related and I miss the genre. So I finally picked up this one that has been on my to-be-read list for years. I really enjoyed it. It's a little slow at first but the action scenes in the later parts makes up for all that. Also, great protagonist. Kicks ass and has agency. I would say it is sort of a mix of Daybreakers and Underworld with a dash of Children of Men and The Walking Dead.


“It didn't even feel like lying anymore. It felt like forgiveness, leaving the past in the past. It felt like mercy. It felt like moving on...And what was one more secret in this house packed to the attic with secrets? ”  

The Lucky Ones by Tiffany Reisz
The Gist: Allison had been one of several children fostered or adopted by a philanthropist / brain surgeon. She led a happy life in the doctor's home with the other kids until she almost died. Due to the suspicion that someone in the family may have tried to kill her, she is whisked away into the care of an elderly aunt. Thirteen years later, Allison receives a letter that the good doctor is dying and she decides to visit her foster family and perhaps finally find out what happened to her those years ago. Really like the book and I did not expect the places it went (in a good way) because the synopsis on the book (which is little longer than my gist) gave little indication. I found it quite scary too, and it's not with the whole she-once-almost-died mystery, but the deeper story of her foster family and the why and how they came to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...