Thursday, May 10, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks #200: Cannes Favourites



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Cannes Favourites


---



Hey! Another milestone! This is the 200 edition of TMP! Today's theme is one by thevoid99. I'm picking from those that have won either the Palme d'Or, Grand Prix or Prix du Jury.
 
The Go-Between (1971)
I've picked this before last year, so I'm copying and pasting the summary: Set in 1900, a boy spends his summer vacation at a school friend's grand home and becomes a go-between carrying messages for his friend's older sister and her secret lover. There was a recent TV movie adaptation and I think I much prefer this 1971 version which doesn't try to over explain things.

Fish Tank (2009)
Rebellious urban girl, Mia, dreams of becoming a dancer, despite the lack of talent, and is encouraged to follow her dreams by her mom's too friendly new boyfriend. I really like this one and Fassbander is very good in it. 

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
The movie follows a week in the life of a folk singer in New York City. Wow, I can't believe I've not picked this before. My only guess is that it's probably not a movie that I love love, but I remember liking it. And there's the music.

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

11 comments:

  1. Fassbender is HOT TO DEATH in Fish Tank. I don't blame that girl AT ALL.

    Oscar Isaac's voice in Inside Llewyn Davis just makes me melt it is so beautiful. I'm kind of in the same boat as you - I really liked the movie but didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish Tank - Haha yes he was so hot. Don't blame the girl, blame the boyfriend. He was the adult.

      Delete
  2. I didn't love Fish Tank but Daniel is right, I don't blame the girl either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Fish Tank. I didn't see your first pick and didn't care for anything about Inside Llewyn Davis other than the soundtrack. That film just didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any of these but Fish tank sounds interesting with what i read above:) I'd like to see The Go-Between

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw The Go-Between yesterday as I'm about to post my review of the film later today. Excellent film as I have Fish Tank in my DVD collection while I also love Inside Llewyn Davis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only seen the first, a very good film although with Julie Christie, Alan Bates and Margaret Leighton there was little chance it could be otherwise, but I'm aware of the other two. I'll be getting to them sooner or later.

    I don't really follow Cannes but if I see that a film did well there I'll consider giving it a chance. Sometimes it works out and sometimes not. These three are instances where it did.

    Union Pacific (1939)-As the Union Pacific Railroad stretches westward across the wilderness toward California corrupt banker Asa Barrows (Henry Kolker) hopes to profit from obstructing it. Troubleshooter Jeff Butler (Joel McCrea) has his hands full fighting Barrows' agent, gambler Sid Campeau (Brian Donlevy) and his partner Dick Allen (Robert Preston) who was Jeff's war buddy and rival suitor for engineer's daughter Molly Monahan (Barbara Stanwyck). Rivalries escalate until a fateful showdown set piece. Big rollicking Cecil B. DeMille directed adventure was the winner of the first Palme D’Or.

    Rome Open City (1945)-In Nazi occupied Rome regulations have been somewhat relaxed so the inhabitants can move freely during daylight but danger still lurks everywhere as food is rationed, curfews enforced and resistance fighters rigorously hunted. This focuses on the search for one freedom fighter and the people working to help him. Directed by Roberto Rossellini with a fierce lead performance from Anna Magnani this was the leader in the birth of the neo-realism movement. It won the Grand Prize of the Cannes Film Festival in 1946.

    Cranes Are Flying (1957)-In Moscow as the winds of World War II approach young lovers Veronika (Tatyana Samoylova) and Boris (Aleksey Batalov) watch the cranes fly overhead and promise to rendezvous before Boris leaves to fight. Boris misses the meeting and is off to the front lines, while Veronika waits patiently, sending letters faithfully. After her house is bombed, Veronika moves in with Boris' family and seeming safety. But Boris’s cousin Mark has darker intentions and as the war rages sorrow spreads in all directions. Winner of the 1958 Cannes Grand Prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really follow Cannes either. Most of the films are not really accessible.

      Delete
  7. For all thats been said about Fish Tank, I still haven't seen it. LOVE any Coen film and ILD was a quite different to other films they've done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen quite a number of Coen films and I dunno, I think all of them are quite different to me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...