Friday, November 24, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks #176: Origin Movies



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Origin Movies

---

When I came up this theme, I was thinking of something that was more than just a prequel and something along the lines of character origins, so that's what my picks are based on. Unfortunately I don't think any of these movies are that great.

Dracula Untold (2014)
The movie uses the real life 15th century Romanian prince famously known as Vlad the Impaler as the origin story for Dracula of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Not the most creative as an origin story since people have always wondered if Stoker had modeled Dracula on Vlad because of the name and origin country. The movie was just ok.

Maleficent (2014)
An origin story for Maleficent the one that cursed Aurora in Sleeping Beauty. I just did not like the origin story for Maleficent and the movie had too much CGI. Is it just me or did anyone else when they saw Sleeping Beauty as a kid, just thought Maleficent was just like a witch and not some fantastical creature? Like I was so surprised that she had like wings and horns. I mean in the animated movie I thought she was just wearing an exaggerated version of a kind of double conical headwear that European women wore in the middle ages.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
Not good and just very forgettable. From the title, my guess is that they probably had wanted to do a bunch of X-Men origin movies...well that didn't happen.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Maleficent more than you did but I've always known she had horns on her head. I did think she was a witch though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Goddamn, that was horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went the same route where I picked movies I didn't like. I didn't mind Maleficent. I never saw Dracula and Wolverine sucked, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wolverine was so disappointing, especially having to sit through the crud that was X3. Thank gad First Class came along to save the franchise!

    I really hate Maleficent. It ruins one of the best Disney villains and its just terrible all round story wise, choice of lead actress wise (Jolie is the wooooorst).

    Not seen Dracula....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I love First Class.
      Maleficent - The thing about Jolie is that I'll just see her as Jolie and not whatever character she's playing.

      Delete
  5. Maleficent is ok and an interest8ng take on the fairy tale. I didn’t mind it. I don’t think I have seen Wolverine Origins and I haven’t seen that Dracula film

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Maleficent better than most, but the script really let it down. Angelina Jolie made that movie. She was awesome. I think your other two picks were terrible, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another thing I didn't like about Maleficent was that Disney was doing that thing where they try to unDisneyfy their own movies. Like in Sleeping Beauty Aurora was awaken by the Prince...they did that. But in Maleficent they try to be all modern and drop the whole the Prince being the true love thingy. Like stop. They're trying way too hard. Want to be all modern and girl power, just tell a new story and not unmake stuff that happens in your previous story.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...