Thursday, October 27, 2016

Thursday Movie Picks #120: Halloween Edition - Epidemic/Pandemic/Outbreak


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---


This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Halloween Edition -  Epidemic/Pandemic/Outbreak

---



Hey it's October and the whole of this month I'm running the Halloween Edition. Take a look at what's in store for the rest of the weeks.

October 6 - Halloween Edition: Witches/Warlock
October 13 - Halloween Edition:  Creature/Monster Features (NO Aliens/Vampires/Zombies/Werewolves) (Example of Creature/Monsters: Cujo)
October 20 - Halloween Edition: Science Fiction Horror
October 27 - Halloween Edition: Epidemic/Pandemic/Outbreak

Ahh...it's last week of October. I hope you had a fun one and discovered some good new scary movies to watch.
  

28 Days Later (2002)
Absolutely love this movie! Great story, great music and just really really scary. I think this was the first zombie-ish movie I ever saw and what a movie to start with.

Contagion (2011)
Scary because it sorta looked like SARS (which did happen here) even with the way it was spread globally. The movie does up the mysterious epidemic several notches with what looks like a worst mortality rate so yeah very very scary but at least we can console ourselves that one of this magnitude didn't happen and yet look how easily and quickly it could.

Carriers (2009)
Two brothers and their friends are on the road to go to their childhood vacation spot to escape a mysterious outbreak that has seemingly left the world quite deserted. It has been a few years since I saw this but I remember liking it. It's like a low key version of Zombieland, that's not a comedy and wasn't quite a zombie outbreak (I think people got rapidly sick but linger for some time) but has a more disastrous consequence for a few of the main characters.

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

---


---


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)


---


Participating Blogs/Bloggers

12 comments:

  1. Excellent picks! Carriers sounds interesting as it's small scale about something bigger. I really wanted to see Contagion but only caught bits of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first two seem to be the titles of the week. I've seen Contagion but while it had a great cast, and got the annoying Paltrow out of the way early, I thought it was merely okay missing a punch that would have made it compelling.

    28 Days Later has been on my to see list for quite some time and I've never gotten to it but I think I have to move it up.

    Carriers is a new one to me, I'll have to look in to it.

    Not being a horror fan I picked films with a more drama based slant that dealt with the theme.

    Longtime Companion (1989)-The AIDS epidemic is viewed through the prism of its impact on a small group of friends. We begin with young Willy (Campbell Scott), his best friend John (Dermot Mulroney) and a few others going about their day both in Manhattan and Fire Island during the summer of 1981 as one of them, Lisa (Mary Louise Parker) notices a small article in The New York Times mentioning a new disease at first called "GRID: Gay-Related-Immune-Disorder". As time passes and the government remains indifferent to the disease’s spread the group is slowly decimated by the disease. At times searingly sad but also balanced with humor and beautifully acted. Bruce Davison was deservedly nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

    Panic in the Streets (1950)-When called in to do a routine autopsy on an unknown gunshot victim in New Orleans Dr. Clint Reed (Richard Widmark) discovers he also has signs of the infectious pneumonic plague. He alerts the authorities who at first are skeptical but when he explains they have only 48 hours to locate anyone he came into contact with to prevent a pandemic the chief of police (Paul Douglas) goes into action. Meanwhile the dead man’s killer (Jack Palance) and associates begin to fall victim to the disease. Probably the only film noir pandemic movie you’ll ever find.

    Outbreak (1995)-A deadly contagion breaks out in a California town and once alerted a group of scientists realize that it could spread through the rest of the country in a matter of days. But as the military quarantine tightens, the head scientist (Dustin Hoffman) begins to suspect that there’s more than the outbreak to worry about, and that he himself might be in danger for knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love 28 Days Later! I also chose it. Contagion was alright, Carriers I never saw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the first part of 28 Days and it was good but I had to leave because...you know...scared plus I had bad dreams about the movie. I would like to see the other 2 though...they sound good and not as scary...or am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Carriers has some scares but definitely not like the ones in 28 Days. Contagion is sort of real world scary - probably not the best thing to watch if one is a hypochondriac, germaphobe or has OCD.

      Delete
  5. I <3 Zombies.

    I remember the first time I saw 28 Days Later, I was a teenager watching it at my friend's house. I then had to go home. Alone. On foot. Through the woods. At 3am.

    Needless to say I near about sprinted the two miles home. haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rare, I know, but we have a match! I also went with Contagion. Not a big fan of 28 Days Later and I still need to see Carriers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...ya I know...I'm just not a watcher of B movies.

      Delete
  7. Both 28 Days Later and Contagion turned out to be popular picks...it's almost as though it was passed between us lot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're certainly two of the most well known ones.

      Delete
  8. I also love 28 Days Later! Haven't seen the other two but they sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...