Thursday, September 22, 2016

Thursday Movie Picks #115: Teen Angst



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Teen Angst (Suggested by Brittani Burnham)

---


Today is quite a challenging topic as I sort of feel a lot of movies with teens feature some form of teen angst so the pool to pick from is rather large. So I'm doing a theme within a theme and picking ones I like with female protagonists.

Ginger Snaps (2000)
It's about two goth sisters (so you know they're very angsty) who have a morbid fascination with death and one of them becomes a werewolf. It's a really good female coming of age story with some werewolf horror elements.

An Education (2009)
A teen girl meets an older man who seduces her into skipping the whole getting-an-academic-education for a life of fancy hotels, friends and parties.

Stoker (2013)
A teen girl has to come to terms with who she is when her father dies and an uncle she never knew existed appears. If you like teen angst beautifully shot and a little twisty...this is it.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

13 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any and not sure about Ginger Snaps but would like to see the other 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoker was so good I can't believe I didn't think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a theme within the theme! An Education is such a great film and Carey Mulligan so brilliant in it, the only downside to it was that I thought they made her parents a bit to gullible to be believable but otherwise excellently made.

    I hadn't heard of Stoker, and I'm not a Kidman fan, but it sounds intriguing so I'll be checking that one out.

    I've also heard of Ginger Snaps but the description never appealed to me, however one of my choices for the week also has something to do with werewolves.

    As you said the pool of choices is large this week so I tried to mix up my picks somewhat between comedy and drama.

    Kitten with a Whip (1964)-After shivving a guard and trying to torch juvie hall, delinquent hellcat Jody (Ann-Margret) takes it on the lam roosting at the coop of rising politico David Patton (John Forsythe). Mad for a pad to lay low she puts the shine on him while throwing off lingo like "Why do you think you're such a smoky somethin' when you're nothin' painted blue?" Cool to her ridicule he gives her the gate. She splits but flies back to his igloo with two other hooligans and forces Dave to burn rubber down Tijuana way, it’s a bad scene though and they’re all slated for crashville. The tagline for this far-out opus? “She’s all out for Kicks…and every inch of her spells EXCITEMENT! She’s a real smoky kitten!” Its mad hipster crazy cool, baby!

    The Doom Generation (1995)-Two disconnected teenagers pick up sexy drifter Xavier, who radiates a savage vibe and who leads them down a path loaded with sex and violence. As they travel through a series of small towns a cloud of doom hangs over them which no matter how they try clings to them.

    Teen Wolf (1985)-Scott (Michael J. Fox) is a normal mopey teen mooning over a girl who doesn’t know he exists and playing on a losing basketball team. Then he begins to notice when he gets upset he starts to feel different. He father pulls him aside and shares something he’s kept from him. Surprise! He’s part werewolf. By letting his inner beast out he becomes popular, the girl notices him and the team starts winning but he has to control his anger or the wolf will take over. Silly but fun comedy is helped immeasurably by Fox’s charm in the lead.

    Honorable Mention-To Sir, with Love (1967)-Unable to find a job in his chosen profession American Mark Thackeray (Sidney Poitier) accepts a position teaching a group of angry rebellious teens in Eastern London. Using somewhat unorthodox methods he confronts their initial jibes and defiance ultimately garnering their respect and helping them work through their angst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger Snaps is part coming of age movie and part werewolf movie - I'd say check it out for the coming of age story.

      I don't think I've seen Teen Wolf before. I have watch a bit of the TV series "remake" and the tone is very different.

      Delete
  4. Excellent picks! These are great movies. Thanks for going with this theme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE Stoker! It's maybe not great, but it's hugely memorable and has a lot of great things about it. Nicole Kidman's big monologue is just GOLD. Such a twisted movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - she's an ice queen and Matthew Goode as the uncle was so creepy

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of Ginger Snaps but I love Stoker, it's one of my favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just add Ginger Snaps to my watchlist a few days ago, I hope I can find some time to watch it.

    I love An Education!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooo good picks - never thought of Stoker for this theme but good call. Same for An Education - both greta films.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stoker is excellent. Park Chan-Wook is an amazing director and definitely delivers. Couldn't stand An Education, though. That whole movie was off-putting for me. Ginger Snaps is one I keep meaning to see, but never can seem to get to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think you'd enjoy Ginger Snaps. It has a B-movie-ish thing going on with Werewolf part.

      Delete
  10. Haven't seen any of these. Really interested in checking out Stoker, and An Education is one I always wanted to see.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...