Thursday, February 18, 2016

Thursday Movie Picks #84: Valentine's Edition: Movies with Memorable Declaration/Confessions of Love



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---


This week's Thursday Movie Picks is the Valentine's Edition: Movies with Memorable Declaration/Confessions of Love

---


Persuasion (1995)
The memorable declaration of love is a letter written by Wentworth to Anne. We all knew he used to love her, proposed to her 8 years before, but Anne was persuaded to reject his proposal by friends and family because he was beneath her class. So that declaration that he was still in love with her was something that was a long time coming and it's such a beautiful letter, the most perfect swoon worthy love letter.

Pride & Prejudice (2005)
Granted I find that Mr Darcy's declaration is presented in a slightly cheesy side here with both him and Lizzie drench from the rain, still this is Pride and Prejudice so how can I not choose it. If Wentworth has the best love letter, than Darcy possibly has the worst proposal but it is a spectacularly worded mess of a proposal.

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)
This is a after all a modern Shakespeare adaptation so of course Kat finally admits to liking Patrick through a poem.

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

---

Check out some of my random Thursday Movie Picks

Thursday Movie Picks #7: Dramatic Scenes   
Thursday Movie Picks #16: Haunted Buildings       
Thursday Movie Picks #24: Movies Driven Entirely by People Talking
Thursday Movie Picks #14: Found Footage Movies
Thursday Movie Picks #22: Movies that Feature a Family Secret


---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

15 comments:

  1. Bonus from 10 Things...: Heath Ledger singing that song in the bleachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scene was cute. Although, it was quite early in the film so I wasn't sure if he actually like her then or was that an act as part of his deal.

      Delete
  2. UGH, I went with 10 Things too!!! That scene is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I haven't seen 10 Things in years but that's a great choice!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I expect to see a lot of Pride and 10 things today. Those were a few of the first that came to my mind, though I didn't choose them. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't love 10 Things but that scene is beautiful, great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good choices. 10 Things is one of the better rethinks of Shakespeare and while I've never been much of a Julia Stiles fan she does well here. Persuasion is a terrific off center pick. It's a lovely little film that should be better known.

    We match on P&P, love that film. I'd agree that the declaration scene is a bit of a stretch in believability, how did they end up in that pavilion at the same time in a driving rainstorm?, but I don't find it cheesy it just adds a bit of romanticism to the sequence. I think that holds for the entire film, really considering the time she's never be standing in that field near the end to see him emerging from the mist but it is swooningly picturesque.

    Here's what I came up with:

    Pride & Prejudice (2005)-Lovely adaptation of the Austen classic with Keira Knightley & Matthew MacFayden well matched as the headstrong Elizabeth Bennett and the reserved Mr. Darcy who secretly loves her. They are surrounded by a perfect supporting cast.

    *Memorable Declaration-During a sweeping rainstorm in an isolated pavilion the drenched Darcy declares that he loves Lizzie most ardently!

    Last of the Mohicans (1992)-Exciting, intense beautifully filmed reading of James Fenimore Cooper’s novel. Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe bring an electric chemistry to their characters which enhances all their scenes but particularly their romantic ones. Pitch perfect music score adds an extra dimension to the effectiveness of the film.

    *Memorable Declaration-Under a waterfall fleeing from attacking Indians Nathaniel tells Cora when he must leave her “You be strong, you survive... You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you.”

    Somewhere in Time (1980)-At the premier of his first play writer Richard Collier (Christopher Reeve) is approached by a mysterious old woman who presses a locket into his hand with the words “Come back to me!” Years later Collier now a successful but blocked playwright impulsively takes a trip to an old resort where he spies a picture of once famous actress Elise McKenna (a breathtakingly beautiful Jane Seymour) from 70 years hence and becomes obsessed with her. Believing she is his destiny he searches for a way to travel back to her time. Preposterous but uber romantic time travel fantasy with the well matched leads and the gorgeous Mackinac Island selling the plot’s various implausibility’s for those able to suspend belief. Very involving if you like romantic movies.

    *Memorable Declaration-In the guise of the character she is portraying on stage Elise goes off script and staring straight at Richard says: “The man of my dreams has almost faded now. The one I have created in my mind. The sort of man each woman dreams of, in the deepest and most secret reaches of her heart. I can almost see him now before me. What would I say to him if he were really here? "Forgive me. I have never known this feeling. I have lived without it all my life. Is it any wonder, then, I failed to recognize you? You, who brought it to me for the first time. Is there any way I can tell you how my life has changed? Any way at all to let you know what sweetness you have given me? There is so much to say... I cannot find the words. Except for these: I love you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of things that I love about the 2005 P&P; it's a very beautiful looking movie especially how the cameras movie in and out of the rooms, the interior sets look like some still life picture and the interaction between the sisters are just lovely and natural but the more romantic scenes not so much. The rain scene in 2005 P&P just feels very cheesy to me. Its employing the usual romance movie cliche, having a rain scene. It also feels like its trying to match what the 1995 mini-series was doing with Colin Firth coming out of the pond. The 2005 end scene where Darcy comes through the mist, I too find it oozing in cheese. Like why does he comes to her estate sort of disheveled and under dressed? It seems so improper. Once again it seems it's trying to match the 1995 pond scene. I know that the pond scene was there for eye candy but at least that serves as a way to also show how Darcy lets his guard down when he is by himself and is at ease in his own home grounds.

      Delete
  7. Haven't seen any of these. If there's a place with huge holes in my film viewing history, it's period pieces and rom-coms, lol. Great job. Sorry I can't take part this week, but I will be back next week with a vengeance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have only seen 10 things and thought it was quite a good movie and better than the average teen flick. I have not seen the other 2 yet but the rain storm soundsa little too dreamy:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes and Yes! I love all these picks! Such great films. I think my favourite is the BBC 1995 version of Persuasion as its so beautifully sutble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Persuasion you mention is the Persuasion I pick. I think in the UK it was released as a miniseries and elsewhere as a feature film.

      Delete
  10. 10 Things I Hate About You is brilliant. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great picks! Love that moment in 10 Things.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...