Thursday, November 5, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks #69: Secret Agents and Spies



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---


This week's Thursday Movie Picks is  Secret Agents and Spies

---



It's obvious why I have this theme this week; Spectre opens. I don't even like Bond movies even though I might not have watch one from beginning to end, but enough bits and pieces to know it's not something I'd like. Actually I haven't watch that many secret agents / spy movies so my options are limited.

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)
Beyond us knowing that the street kid is recruited by a secret agency, we didn't really get much secret agenting and spying. It was mostly training for the kids and some assassinating by the adults. Still this was a fun movie, so much better than what I expected and I hear there's going to be a sequel. If you like the first Kick-Ass movie, I think you'd like this one too.

Duplicity (2009)
With organisations being worth more than countries, this is where most spying is probably heading: corporate espionage. The premise of it is interesting to me and I like Gilroy's Michael Clayton so I thought this would be as good. While it isn't as great, it is a fun watch. It's more of a romantic comedy thriller with snappy dialogue.

The East (2013)
A woman working for a private intelligence firm infiltrates a aggressive environmental group to gather information for their client/s who are on the group's hit list. Once again an interesting premise and far different from the kind that is usually associated with spy movies. Commercials organisations are involved in this one too, but of course for very different reasons.

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

---


---


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)


---


Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 


 

 

13 comments:

  1. Everyone keeps telling me to watch Kingsman. One day I will. I was really keen to see The East when it was released but it was only in the cinemas a week I missed it. The angle of the 'environmental group/organisation' seems to be cropping up lately which is interesting and different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes watch it, Kingsman is fun.
      As for "The angle of the 'environmental group/organisation" do you mean in the media or in movies? I don't think I've heard much about other movies with a similar premise.

      Delete
  2. Kingsman was a great flick, really loved the church scene. I haven't seen Duplicity and The East, both sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed more of the kids training scenes. The lead goes an almost My Fair Lady process as he is groomed into a gentleman secret agent.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed The Kingsmen and didn't expect it to be so good. I have heard of Duplicity but haven't seen it yet. It did look like a romance comedy film to me in some ways. I have not heard of the last one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think The East is had a limited release in most places. I guess I mostly know of it because Brit Marling always does interesting movies.

      Delete
  4. I love Kingsman! The East was interesting. Can't say I loved it, but it's definitely worth a watch. Not a fan of Duplicity at all, though. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kingsman is such a great choice! I haven't seen the other two, but they sound pretty good. I haven't watched many spy movies at all!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha me too. Especially since I don't watch Bond movies which probably makes up half of all spy/secret agent movie.

      Delete
  6. Great picks! I also chose The East and probably should've chosen The Kingsman. That movie is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to like Kingsman because of Colin Firth and up to a certain point I thought it was fine but the over the top needless violence lost me especially after the church scene. A shame because with a bit of restraint it could have been a highly enjoyable film. I love Clive Owen so I went into Duplicity with high hopes but something was missing and I thought Julia Roberts was awful in it. The East is new to me and sounds intriguing, I'll have to queue that one up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kingsman is based on a Mark Millar comic, who also wrote Kick-Ass. Not that I've read any of the comics before, but I'm guessing the movie mustered all the restraint that they could without ruining the tone of the story.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...