Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Ender's Game (2013)

Recently I watched Ender's Game. Unfortunately I did not enjoy the movie as much as I'd like. I won't compare the book and the movie. I think movies should be able to stand on its own regardless of its faithfulness to the book. Instead, I'll just say what I didn't like about the movie. Two main things really: I thought the dialogue was weak. The movie has some great actors yet everything that's said on screen seemed a bit awkward and off. I don't believe them as the characters they're playing. Secondly a lot of adaptations are often trying to squeeze hundreds of pages into a 2 hour movie. As a result scenes are often rushed. The same is evident here and what made it worse is that the movie does little to indicate that months or years have passed in between. One moment Ender is a new kid in battle school, a few scenes latter he has gained the respect of his peers and soon he is in command school. Anyone who has not read the book may have had the impression that Ender is breezing his way through his military career, which is not true.

Have you seen Ender's Game. What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...